Ronald K. Sittler serves of counsel to the Aerlex Law Group, providing representation to Aerlex clients in the areas of both litigation and litigation-avoidance counseling.
Ron Sittler has been a member of the California State Bar for 26 years, and comes to his work with Aerlex having worked in both large, nationally recognized law firms and as a solo practitioner. His extensive litigation experience includes serving as lead trial counsel in jury trials, bench trials and arbitrations. Ron has represented clients in complex commercial cases, labor disputes, real estate matters, mergers and acquisitions, insurance, banking, secured transactions, debtor-creditor representation, and intellectual property issues.
Ron Sittler has been named a Southern California Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters six times and was identified in The Hollywood Reporter’s 2009 annual issue identifying the Top 100 Entertainment Lawyers in Hollywood.
Ron comes to Aerlex with a long-time love of aviation. His father worked as an engineer for Northrup Grumman in Burbank and Ron received his undergraduate degree from the United States Air Force Academy.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for a national bank in a $450 million film finance action wherein a European film distributor brought RICO, fraud, unfair business practices, wire fraud and breach of contract claims involving the financing of 30 feature length films by a syndicate of 13 different financial institutions. Sittler served as lead counsel in all aspects for the lead bank in an action that lasted 11 years. In the end, over $450 million in loans plus interest, loan fees and attorney fees were fully recouped in favor of Mr. Sittler’s client paying off all 30 loans in full. The case was tried before a three-person arbitration panel over nine weeks. In addition to a complete defense verdict for the bank, the bank was awarded $11 million in attorney fees.
- Defended Comerica Bank in a $9 million tort action involving claims by profit-sharing participants from a successful film financed by the bank. Sittler obtained a very favorable settlement for the bank after the judge informed the plaintiffs, the writer, director, and producer of the film, that the court was likely to grant a directed verdict in favor of the bank after five days of testimony on all claims including fraud, tortious interference with contract, and breach of contract.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in April 2009, after a five-week jury trial on behalf of AIG Retirement Services, in a $14 million claim brought by a former senior executive alleging a breach of partnership agreement, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty. The claim related to an alleged bonus due the employee based on the packaging and sale of tax credits.
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of a hedge fund manager who had been removed by the fund’s principals on the eve of a significant vesting event. The settlement was achieved after a three-day mediation.
- Served as lead trial counsel on behalf of a $2 billion Canadian hedge fund that was alleged to have committed fraud, unfair business practices and numerous contract related claims stemming from a $12 million prints and advertising loan. In addition to a complete defense verdict, Mr. Sittler’s client was awarded the full principal of its loan, plus interest and attorney fees in excess of $30 million.